Medical Marijuana, Prop 215 and SB 420
|Find Dispensaries and Collectives||Find Medical Marijuana Doctors||CBD Sources||Local Growing Guidelines||Becoming a Cannabis Caregiver or Collective||Patients Guide to the Law|
- Medical cannabis may be legally used & cultivated by qualifed patients in California under Prop. 215, provided they have a recommendation from a licensed physician .
- State law (SB 420) establishes voluntary state ID card program plus Prop. 215 guidelines for possession and cultivation effective Jan 1, 2004. State limit set at 6 mature or 12 immature plants and 8 ounces marijuana, except where physician declares more is needed, or where local governments authorize more.
- State ID card program for medical marijuana patients starts up in certain counties. For current info about medical marijuana ID cards, contact state Department of Health Medical Marijuana Program.
- Certain cities and counties have their own local SB420 cultivation guidelines. Many localities are now passing zoning restrictions on cultivation, read more.
- So you want to start a cannabis collective? Facts you should be aware of.
- Do Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Cause Crime?
- Local ordinances regulate, ban, or license medical cannabis dispensaries in many cities or counties.
- Cannabis Provides More Than Just Symptomatic Relief
- Recommended reading: Emerging Clinical Applications for Cannabis and Cannabinoids: A Review of the Scientific Literature (left) and Medical Marijuana Handbook (right) available as a Kindle edition.
- Cal NORML estimates there are 750,000 - 1,125,000 medical marijuana patients in California (2011).
- Medical uses of marijuana: California law allows use for any serious condition for which marijuana provides relief. Over 250 different illnesses reported.
- Hashish is covered by Prop. 215 according to Attorney General ruling.
- Cal state surveys show decline in student marijuana use since passage of Prop. 215.
- The AMA eases its stance on marijuana (Nov. 2009)
- US Supreme Court Conant decision protects physicians who recommend marijuana for medicine (Oct 15, 2003).
- US Supreme Court overturns 9th Circuit Raich-Monson decision, upholds federal ban on personal use & cultivation of cannabis for medical purposes (Jun 2005).
- State Supreme Court Mower decision protects medical marijuana patients (Jul 18, 2002).
- Major medical marijuana cultivation cases in California include many acquittals for 100 plants and more.
- Survey of Prop 215 patients shows chronic pain the top use for medical marijuana.
- Human studies on medical marijuana
- Medical Marijuana Pro-Con
2/15/2010 - An excellent review of clinical studies on the medical use of cannabis and cannabinoids has been published by Arno Hazekamp and Franjo Grotenhermen. The authors summarize 37 different controlled studies in the period July 1, 2005 - August 1, 2009. Eight specifically involved smoked marijuana, all of which indicated medical efficacy. Conditions treated included chronic pain, HIV neuropathy, spinal cord injury, and Hep C. The authors add that at least 110 studies on medical cannabis have been published since 1975. So much for the notion that our drug bureaucrats need more studies on medical marijuana. Read the study.