CA NORML Guide to Marijuana Laws
Green Party Announces "Personal Use of Marijuana" Initiative
The Green Party of Mendocino County has authored an initiative that would virtually decriminalize personal use of marijuana in Mendocino County.
The Green Party is spearheading a campaign to gather the 2868 signatures of registered voters required to place the measure on the ballot.
"Although the Green Party has moved the initiative this far, we feel it is a non- partisan issue and call on members of any political party for support", reports Bruce Hering, Green Party county council member and PUMI spokesperson.
The wording of the "Personal Use of Marijuana Initiative" (PUMI) was modeled after similar ordinances in Berkeley and San Francisco, which have been in effect for several years.
The initiative would:
We need volunteers for all phases of this campaign, including petition circulators and financial support. If you wish to participate in this history- making action, please contact Bruce Hering at 707-895-3589 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instruct the county government to support all efforts toward the decriminalization of marijuana;
- Establish a maximum limit of plants and weight for cultivation and possession of marijuana for personal use in Mendocino County, and prohibit the expenditure of public funds for enforcement of marijuana laws against cultivators and users in possession of quantities below that limit.
- Remove the fear of prosecution and the stigma of criminality from people who cultivate and/or use marijuana for personal, medical or recreational purposes.
- Extend police protection to those growing or possessing marijuana for personal use.
- Provide for the continued enforcement of marijuana laws against those who cultivate, transport and possess marijuana for sale.
Click here for Initiative Text and Legal Summary.
Posted by Dale Gieringer, California NORML Nov. 16, 1999
CA NORML 2215-R Market St. #278 San Francisco CA 94114 (415) 563-5858 email@example.com